For thousands of years, human beings have used candles for lighting, for religious reasons, as a status symbol or simply as decoration. It is said that they were invented by the Egyptians but it was not until the Middle Ages that they began to be produced as we know them. At that time they were quite expensive but with the discovery of paraffin, stearic acid and the development of suitable machinery they made candles accessible to the masses, cheaper and without the strong smell that characterized them.
Today, candles are still used to light when the electricity goes out suddenly but they are also used to decorate and create a pleasant and romantic atmosphere with which to relax to rest at home at the end of a long day. If you are passionate about candles and would like to know how to make them in an artisanal way, stay because then we are going to discover how to make scented candles at home that will fill your home with a pleasant fragrance that will awaken your senses.
Table of Contents
- 1 What materials will you need to know how to make scented candles at home?
- 2 How to make scented candles at home?
- 3 How to choose the essence of your aromatic candle?
- 4 How to use your aromatic candle to take advantage of all its qualities?
- 5 How to choose the color when learning how to make scented candles at home?
What materials will you need to know how to make scented candles at home?
If you have never made scented candles at home before, don't worry because it is not as complicated as it seems. Once you get the hang of it, it's very simple, but before knowing the manufacturing procedure and getting down to work, you need to know what materials will you have to get. Notes!
- GV-35 wax, ideal for making this type of candle.
- Aromatic essence (lemon, jasmine, lavender, rose, eucalyptus...).
- Liquid dye for candles of the color that you like the most.
- A wooden spoon or stick to stir.
- A saucepan to melt the wax.
- Candle glasses. You can also serve a can or a boat.
- 4 or 5 centimeter waxed wicks.
- Stickers to decorate the glass for candles.
- A piece of plastic or cardboard to protect the surface where we are going to work.
How to make scented candles at home?
- The first step is to put the wax in a saucepan and melt it over low heat so that it melts without burning.
- When the texture of the wax is completely liquid, it will be time to add candle dye that you have chosen until you achieve the desired intensity in the shade of the candle.
- Then stir the mixture slowly so they don't create bubbles while gradually adding the aromatic essence of your choice.
- When the wax has cooled down a bit to around 62ºC, the next step is to pour it into a container such as a pitcher or a glass without reaching the brim.
- Let it rest and when the texture of the candle solidifies, carefully insert the wick into the wax. It has to stand upright on its own.
- Finally, wait for the candle to cool down and decorate the glass with a sticker to give it an even more beautiful touch. For example, you can mark it with a sticker that indicates the aroma of the candle so that you can more easily identify it.
How to choose the essence of your aromatic candle?
- Vanilla or tangerine: these are aromas that promote a calm and happy state of mind.
- Lavender: for a relaxing and pleasant atmosphere. Eliminate stress and anxiety.
- Eucalyptus: enhances concentration and has refreshing properties.
- Cinnamon: promotes creativity.
- Rosemary: its aroma is very purifying.
- Lemon or mint: they are aromas that provide freshness and a touch of energy.
- Neroli, chamomile or sandalwood: ideal to help you fall asleep.
- Geranium: balances the emotions and the mind.
- Coconut: sweetens the atmosphere and reduces negativity.
- Jasmine: gives off a relaxing aroma that also eliminates bad odours.
- Rosa: fights headache, sadness and insomnia.
- Cedar: inspire calm and relax.
- Thyme: revives the memory.
- Orange: has purifying properties.
How to use your aromatic candle to take advantage of all its qualities?
Aromatherapy is an alternative therapeutic technique that uses essences from aromatic plants and fruits to promote mental and physical well-being of people.
The benefits of aromatherapy can be achieved through different methods: cream application, massages, aromatic baths and even inhalation by lighting scented candles.
In the latter case, it is best to light the candle for a while in the morning and at night before going to sleep. For example, just after getting up you can light an aromatic candle with a lemon or mint aroma as they bring freshness to the environment and give you a touch of energy for the rest of the day. Instead, at the end of the day and before going to bed, you can light a lavender, rose, sandalwood or cedar scented candle to create a relaxed atmosphere, eliminate stress and fall asleep more easily.
To enhance the aroma of your aromatic candles and carry out an aromatherapy session with which you feel good, it is recommended to light them for at least one hour in a closed place. Then turn it off and enjoy its fragrance.
How to choose the color when learning how to make scented candles at home?
Color therapy or chromotherapy is another alternative therapeutic technique that allows us to alleviate ailments such as lack of concentration, insomnia or stress through the use of a specific color palette, as each one has a different positive impact on our state of mind.
In fact, in Eastern culture, it is believed that colors help to renew the balance of harmony and our energies. Therefore, at the time of choose the dye to make aromatic candles at home it is important that you select a color based on the benefits you wish to experience. Next, we are going to see the properties of each color.
- Blue: Reduces fatigue.
- Orange: Symbolizes optimism and energy.
- Yellow: Facilitates concentration.
- Green: Represents the harmony of nature and balance.
- Red: It embodies vitality, passion and energy.
- White: Symbolizes purity, harmony and balance.
- Pink: Transmits tranquility and peace.
- Purple: Calming properties are attributed to it.